I made this and took it to a Superbowl party tonite for my knitting group, and it was VERY well received. There is always a bit of uncertainty about a new recipe, and this one did not disappoint. Even with the mods I had to make – I went to the discount grocery store and they didn’t have green onions or water chestnuts. I did miss the water Chestnuts in this, but I think it was fine with sauteed yellow onions. Forgot to include that I used about 3 splurps of Franks Original Hot Sauce.
The next time I make it, I’m thinking of adding a bit of lemon juice, too. And fresh Garlic. And more onion.
Hot Spinach Cheese Dip
By Diana Rattray, About.com
* 1 large package (16 to 20 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
* 2 (8 ounces) packages cream cheese, cut in cubes
* 3/4 cup chopped green onions
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika
* 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained, chopped
* assorted crackers, chips, or vegetable dippers
In slow cooker, combine spinach and cream cheese. Add green onions, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika. Cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring once or twice, until very hot. Reserve 1/4 cup of shredded cheese for topping. Stir in the remaining cheese and chopped water chestnuts. Sprinkle reserved cheese over top. Serve with chips, crackers, or vegetables for dipping.